Forum Archives

Those are only read-only archives. If you want to ask a question, please use the current forum.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #23961

• Dmitri
  • Junior Shipper
Wow, that is really havoc time. :(

It kills not only Mail forwarding business, but the local price for such devices will come up by this also.

Hope we will survive these difficult times.
If someone find the way to deliver cell toys by ship let us know. Believe, the Kindle and other things will cost too much here.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #23962

• Thiago
  • Expert Shipper
It only kills this type of business for Russia, which is of course a big part of the customers, but in no way everyone.

For the rest of the world, courier services can be used for the batteries in the meantime. Cheap, small, light packages.

Plus, not everything are electronics. I've bought about as much clothing as electronics.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #23973

• Yura
  • Fresh Shipper
Congratulations USPS, you just lost some a part of your customers, I think it's... a thousands of

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #23981

• Dmitri
  • Junior Shipper
Thiago wrote:
It only kills this type of business for Russia, which is of course a big part of the customers, but in no way everyone.

For the rest of the world, courier services can be used for the batteries in the meantime. Cheap, small, light packages.

Plus, not everything are electronics. I've bought about as much clothing as electronics.

Agree, not all customers buy only iPads, iPhones and Kindle. The other things like sleeve for Kindle or any clothing are usable for it. But, for me the question, how to buy Kindle now? Looks like the other forwarding company can't deliver this too?

Will wait, maybe USPS changed the mind and make a clear rules for it. Believe the battery delivery should be prohibited except batteries installed into device by the factory (only for new stuff). :blink:

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #23995

• David
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 26
Максим Алексеев wrote:
From all this information come from? This is what is currently written on the site USPS:

349.21 Nonmailable Class 9 Materials
The following materials are prohibited:
# Primary (non–rechargeable) lithium batteries are prohibited via air transportation.
349.222 Secondary Lithium-ion (Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries
Secondary lithium-ion (rechargeable) cells and batteries are mailable via air or surface transportation when individual cells or batteries are mailed or when properly packed with or properly installed in the equipment they operate.

That is, disposable lithium batteries are not subject to transport by air, and lithium-ion batteries may be transported, if properly packaged or installed.
Yes, these are the current rules. But these rules are changing as of May 16, 2012. Here is the official news from USPS:
liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2012/05may/news03s2.htm

The new rules apply for all packages going through USPS (including packages sent through different forwarders or packages brought to the post office in person)

New proposal in postal service rules has been made, which should allow shipping of batteries packed in device. This new rule should take effect as of January 2013.
If you want to contact me directly, please use standard support application. Please do not send me PMs on the forum

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24031

The decision made by USPS is not as bad as many could think at first glance. It solves some problems USPS had last months.

It has been reported widely that USPS in deep financial crisis. Actually they don’t earn enough money on most of international mailings because tariffs may be changed once a year and carriers change the airfare more frequently. There is no any profit in this and they do their best to break even and prevent any losses. So the postal service has to invent new exotic ways to get international mail to the destination. Recent case with Turkish Airlines is good example of the mess they have.

The reason of the decision they tell is not actual. It is technical reason, a pretext, so to speak. They did not pay attention to the international regulations on batteries for so long time and suddenly remembered about it and decided to implement it. I think, that USPS just needs a breath of fresh air, an opportunity to reshuffle its structure and logistics. They are going to do it by the end of current year. That’s why they point out that the battery restriction is temporary.

Now, I hope, will be able to enjoy better service and faster delivery from USPS and, subsequently, Russian Post. The decision will cut substantially the number of parcels and annihilate such thing as problem of stolen gadgets.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24044

• Dmitri
  • Junior Shipper
In some Russian forums I've found such advice as forget about USPS and `Shipito` as nightmare cause it is outdated in modern time and there are other companies who have OWN logistic, ship delivery, FREE consolidation and even price for delivery lower compare to `Shipito`. They don't use USPS, and customer don't have a headache how to send something. Just chose Air or Ship. In addition they have extra cost insurance for Apple products and it costs for Apple + $20 (per unit). Company pay insurance itself as I understand and it takes only 24 hours to decide. From negative point it's not accept PayPal yet, only cards.

The reason why we still with `Shipito` cause we checked this way for delivery and lazy to change it.

The competition on the market between forwarding companies only grow up. :huh:

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24045

• Tomas
  • Senior Shipper
Alex Novik wrote:
Some mail forwarding companies just added 3$ to package shipping cost due to "preparing additional documentation", but didn't stop to send Lithium powered devices through USPS

You wrong! That company dont use USPS at all.
Read the terms carefully before posting.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by David.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24046

• Roma
  • Senior Shipper
Yes.
If you do not decide this question then I will go to him, and I think not the one I have!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24049

The problem is that the shipping method they offer is less reliable than that of USPS.

In fact they are solely at mercy of Kaliningrad customs. They import consolidated cargo to Kalioniungrad and then send it by domestic postal servie and couriers. The custom clerance they do is not quite legal.

There was a story with major US online book retailer that used them once to send books in Russia. After the huge amount of books dissapered somewhere between Hamburg and Kaliningrad, the contract was terminated.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24051

Can you tell something about motherboards? Motherboards too contains small lithium battery.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24053

• Roma
  • Senior Shipper
Answer please you awake after 16.05.2012 send electronics with battery?

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24055

• samdup
  • Senior Shipper
Sabutay Khikhlar wrote:
Can you tell something about motherboards? Motherboards too contains small lithium battery.

Lithium batteries are not not a Lithium-Ion batteries.
Lithium-Ion batteries are rechargeable and common in digital cameras, MP3 players etc. Previously, only lithium-ion battery packages had to be labelled. However from the initial post it appears that lithium metal can also not be shipped. This would mean no shipping of any lithium product, including motherboards with lithium batteries.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24061

• Felipe
  • Fresh Shipper
Jon,

My first item shipped on shipito was a Heart-Rate Monitor, which contained a CR2032 battery ( a standard lithium battery rated at 3.0 volts).
While sending it on new airmail I marked 'NO' to the question regarding the batteries.

I did not do that to misled shipito, but out of a honest mistake.

I wonder what would happen if a parcel was shipped on USPS with a lithium battery that the owner was not aware of it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Felipe

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24062

• Alexander
  • Expert Shipper
Dmitri wrote:
In some Russian forums I've found such advice as forget about USPS and `Shipito` as nightmare cause it is outdated in modern time and there are other companies who have OWN logistic, ship delivery, FREE consolidation and even price for delivery lower compare to `Shipito`. They don't use USPS, and customer don't have a headache how to send something. Just chose Air or Ship. In addition they have extra cost insurance for Apple products and it costs for Apple + $20 (per unit). Company pay insurance itself as I understand and it takes only 24 hours to decide. From negative point it's not accept PayPal yet, only cards.

The reason why we still with `Shipito` cause we checked this way for delivery and lazy to change it.

The competition on the market between forwarding companies only grow up. :huh:

Yes-yes-yes... We heard all this atory about "new fast reliable shipping companies" already when Japan was struck with the same restriction. And customers of such a "modern", "up-to-date" companies with "their own" logistics now waiting their cargo from the FEBRUARY (!).

THE FIRST AND MAIN: NO SHIIPING COMPANY IN RUSSIA HAVE A CUSTOMS PROCESSING AND INTERNATIONAL POSTAL LICENSE EXCEPT RUSSIAN POST AND EMS (IT'S DEPARTMENT).

If u ship through ANY other company - u have a $200 limit free of customs duty. Any other method is a gamble.

ONLY freight-frowarders like shipito u should use. If u don't want to gamble. The ONLY organisation that has a customs license in Russia is Russian Post (and it's department EMS). If u ship through ANY other means it's a gamble.

See something like injapan.com - it's customers can't receive their shipments from february till now!

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24063

• Alexander
  • Expert Shipper
Felipe wrote:
Jon,

My first item shipped on shipito was a Heart-Rate Monitor, which contained a CR2032 battery ( a standard lithium battery rated at 3.0 volts).
While sending it on new airmail I marked 'NO' to the question regarding the batteries.

I wonder what would happen if a parcel was shipped on USPS with a lithium battery that the owner was not aware of it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Felipe

Howdo u know it's CR? U cannot differ LR from CR from the outer look. They are the same by the outer view. LR is alkaline, CR is lithium. In 95% cases the battery is alkaline. it's thrice cheaper than lithium.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24066

• Felipe
  • Fresh Shipper
I know its CR cause when I got it I saw that there were a CR battery.
buy that it not my point..
my point is, what happens if a lithium battery gets shipped unnoticed?

Cheers,
Felipe
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Felipe.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24069

• David Dan
  • Platinum Shipper
Felipe wrote:
Jon,

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Felipe
CR2032 is Sony's Lithium battery, it's not Lithium-Ion (LI-ION). The post by "Samdup" above explains it even more. The CR series batteries are practically dry cells and are found in motherboards, watches etc and cost a few cents. You use them in situations where you want to draw very tiny amounts of currents over a very long period. Li-ION batteries on the other hand are big, rechargeable and you use them when you want to draw a large amount of current in a very short time. Contrary to popular believe, USPS has not banned them because they can explode by themselves, the big fear is that it can supply enough power to detonate a small bomb during flight. A couple of years ago, Al Qaeda in Yemen send bombs disguised as cartridge printers to Europe. In the bomb was a Li-ion battery powerful enough to trigger a detonation. I think they did not succeed because the remote control failed or something.
The Sony CR battery is therefore safe since it is not powerful enough to trigger a detonation.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24072

As for the customs license it is simply not true. A lot of companies have custom licenses in Russia, not only Russian Post.

But if you wish to import something in Russia as private individual you may do it only if money is no object for you. There are still no any custom fees if the goods are less than 1000 Euro value. But to make customs clerance properly you have to pay to the broker and be prepared to get and present to the customs a lot of papers, different certificates and explanatory notes. So the final bill may be shocking.

I bought some furniture once in the US and shipped it to Moscow as cargo. Actually I was prepared to part with some money but not that much. It was around 5 thousand for the furniture worth just 10K. I had to pay to the freight forwarder, to a broker, for warehouse and for certificates and expert conclusions, customs asked me to present. So if we are not talking about some unique goods, made-to-order, you cannot find in Russia or Europe, all these expenses are absolutely pointless.

Of course, major courier companies woon't agree to ship at all. But some less known may do it if you guarantee that all associated expenses will be covered and give them substantial deposit.

The point is that the amount of paperwork for broker is almost the same regardless what you import - a mid-size parcel or a big container. So they charge you accordingly. Of course, I am talking about legal custom clerance. All other methods are too risky.

Re: USPS not allowing lithium battery shipments 2 years 7 months ago #24073

• Felipe
  • Fresh Shipper
again, that is not my point.

What will happen if a parcel is shipped with a LI-ION battery on USPS?
Moderators: Green65
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds